Newham & Leytonstone Branch Organiser (Maternity Cover)
Contract: 12 month maternity leave cover with possibility of extension
Deadline for applications: 1pm Friday 11 June
Set up by campaigns and local housing groups from across the city, we’ve achieved a lot in the past three years. We’ve supported scores of our members to win improvements to their housing situation by standing up for their rights and taking direct action. We’ve linked up with other housing groups to force the Tory government to announce an end to no-fault evictions.
The role of the Newham & Leytonstone Branch Organiser is to support the growth and collective leadership of the Newham & Leytonstone branch while our current organiser is on maternity leave.
If you’re passionate about supporting other people to take action on the housing crisis, we’d love to hear from you, even if you’ve never done this kind of organising in a paid role before.
- Building relationships with renters in Newham and Leytonstone, including through phone calls and one-to-one meetings.
- Supporting renters to take action, such as by helping to organise pickets against estate agents, landlords and other power holders who profit from the housing crisis.
- Ensuring the branch is reaching and recruiting a wide range of
renters through street stalls and door knocking
knocking sessions and meeting with local renters and leaders.
- Empowering renters who face the worst impacts of the housing crisis to participate and lead the branch
- Supporting the organisation of branch meetings and other
meetings and events to ensure they are welcoming and
empowering spaces for a wide range of members.
Read the full job description here.
Support and development
We know that opportunities to develop organising skills are hard to come by. We’re not expecting that anyone will have all of the skills listed in the job description and we’re committed to supporting our staff to develop their skills and develop in their work. This will include:
- 2 weeks of induction and training sessions when you start, including intensive community organising training
- weekly supervision meetings for the first three months
- fortnightly supervision meetings after that
- other ongoing training and development opportunities
How to apply
To apply, please use the form below to upload your CV and a covering letter which you demonstrate how you meet the top 4 essential criteria from the job description:
- Ability to empower people to participate in and lead collective struggle, including people who face oppression.
- Understanding how to organise people in a community towards a shared goal.
- Ability to speak and build trust with people in the area and different organisations.
- Understanding of the housing crisis in London and its impacts on people and communities
Please give examples of when you have done these things. This should be around 1-2 pages.
We particularly welcome applications from working class people, especially people of colour?. A university education is not a requirement for this role.
If you have any questions about these roles, feel free to email Clare on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms and conditions
JOIN THE LONDON RENTERS UNION
We’re a members-led, campaigning union and we’re taking action to make sure all Londoners have a decent, affordable and secure home. Join our community today and become part of the movement to transform the housing system.
Our Member Solidarity training is for all members who want to support other renters with their housing issues, and stand up to landlords and estate agents. You will learn about how we organise member solidarity in the union, our principles and process, and how we...
*This training is now full - please make sure you're a signed up member and you'll be emailed about future training opportunities* If you’ve joined as a member recently and want to get stuck in, or if you’ve been involved for a little while and want to know more about...
Our Introduction to Member Solidarity training is for all members who want to support other renters with their housing issues, and stand up to landlords and estate agents. You will learn about how we organise member solidarity in the union, our principles and process,...