The London Renters Union is run by its members. We aim to hold regular member forums and all member assemblies to decide strategy and policies. The union’s coordinating group helps keep the union going in between those meetings.
The coordinating group is made up of 2 representatives of each branch and each working group and 3 members directly elected by the membership.
Up to 6 places are reserved for representatives of liberation caucuses if they are formed. Only 1 representative of each branch or working group may be someone who identifies as white and a cis-gendered man.
To contact the coordinating group, you can email email@example.com.
The role of the coordinating group is to:
- Support effective coordination between branches and working groups
- Uphold the values of the union, and ensure they are being upheld by branches, working groups and members
- Oversee the implementation of decisions of all member meetings
- Develop and oversee union strategies and policies in accordance with the values, objectives and democratic decisions of the union
- Support the development of new branches
- Ensure the sound management of the union’s financial resources
- Ensure appropriate processes are in place for the management of union staff and the protection of personal information held by the union.
Coordinating group membership
Newham & Leytonstone branch representatives: Sana Y and Shelly H
Lewisham: George B
Hackney: currently vacant
Outreach working group coordinators: Anouska S & Jacob W
Communications: Bethan S & Fraser A
Member support: Theo B & Lucy G
Structure and process: Jacob S
Fundraising: Ed L
For the first year of the London Renters Union, a number of people were invited to be members because of their experience and/or because they represent the organisations that set up the London Renters Union. They will be members until March 2019. Those people are: Clare W, Heather K, Katya N, Anabel B,
Non-voting members invited to meetings until March 2019 for their experience: Moussa A and Jacob M.
JOIN THE LONDON RENTERS UNION
We’re a members-led, campaigning union and we’re taking action to make sure all Londoners have a decent, affordable and secure home. Join our community today and become part of the movement to transform the housing system.
Replying to the letter handed in at the November action, the Mayor stated his expectation that all Lewisham residents have safe and secure accommodationread more
Has your landlord ever treated you unfairly? Do you want to learn how collective action can help renters to win better conditions?read more
Renter unions successfully shut down NatWest branches across the country this Saturday over discrimination against renters claiming housing benefitread more