Tower Hamlets Organiser
Deadline for applications: 7pm on October 22
Pay and benefits: The pay is £33,126 for 30 hours per week, usually spread over 4 days. The role includes extensive training and support and £1,200 per year towards counselling or other well-being services. Staff with children or carer responsibilities are entitled to a 12% subsidy on the regular staff salary.
Download the full job description and terms and conditions here.
Since we launched in 2018, the LRU has grown to nearly 7,000 members, won countless disputes against landlords to improve the lives of our members and won important campaigns against the government on evictions law. We’ve got big plans to campaign locally and nationally against the huge rent rises many of us are facing right now, and we’ve got a new 5-year strategy with big plans on growing renter power to back it up.
We’re hiring a Branch Organiser to help grow our successful Tower Hamlets branch, which launched in 2021, has hundreds of members and has won victories against landlords, social housing providers and the council. The branch has a highly committed organising committee and strong connections across the borough and is now looking to further increase its reach and deepen its organising and win an ambitious campaign against unsafe housing conditions in the borough.
We strongly encourage applications from people who live or work in Tower Hamlets and/or who speak Bengali or other languages that are spoken widely in the community. We also particularly encourage applications from working class, women, disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic candidates.
Joining the LRU as a paid organiser is your chance to use and develop your community organising skills, to build a leaderful local branch and support local renters to build the power we need to transform the housing system so that it works for people not profit.
Extensive training and support will be provided to the successful applicants.
- Supporting new members into the activity of the branch through phone calls and one-to-one meetings.
- Supporting elected role holders to develop their community organising skills and carry out their roles.
- Support members to develop and implement the strategy of the branch.
- Recruiting paying members to the London Renters Union.
- Identifying and organising campaigns and disputes on issues that renters are facing.
- Helping members run effective, welcoming meetings.
To apply for this role
- To apply for this role, please upload your CV and a completed application form using the form below.
- You can download a copy of the application form here.
- Please note that you will need to save your CV and application form as a PDF file to be able to upload them using the form below. If you have any troubles with this please don’t hesitate to contact us.
- Deadline for applications: 7pm on October 22.
- The ideal applicant will be available to start during November.
- If you have any questions about the role, feel free to email Michael on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upload your CV and completed application form here
JOIN THE LONDON RENTERS UNION
We’re a members-led, campaigning union and we’re taking action to make sure all Londoners have a decent, affordable and secure home. Join our community today and become part of the movement to transform the housing system.
Time: Thursday 21st March 6:45-9pmVenue: Hamilton House, Mabledon Pl, London WC1H 9BDRegister using the form below Has your landlord recently pushed your rent up even higher? Or are you worried about the cost of housing? You’re not alone. On Thursday 21 March, London...
One of the most exciting parts of Sunday’s All Member Assembly is that there’s time to debate motions that decide the whole union’s plans for the coming year. The organising team has decided that there’s only time to properly discuss and debate 4 motions. However, 6...
Want to know more about what rights renters have? Want to support fellow renters with their housing problems? Want to take collective action against landlords and letting agents? Join London Renters Union’s member solidarity training programme! What is it? Member...