Since we launched in 2018, the LRU has grown to nearly 7,000 members, won countless disputes against landlords to improve the lives of our members and won important campaigns against the government on evictions law. We’re building the power we need from the bottom up to win a housing system that prioritises the needs of people over the profits of landlords and investors. We’ve got big plans to campaign locally and nationally against the huge rent rises many of us are facing right now, and we’ve got a new 5-year strategy with big plans on growing renter power to back it up. We’re recruiting a new Hackney Branch Organiser to support the growth of our Hackney branch, on a 2 year contract.
Joining the LRU as a paid organiser is your chance to use and develop your community organising skills, to build a leaderful local branch and support local renters to build the power we need to transform the housing system so that it works for people not profit. Hackney branch is the largest branch in the LRU, with a vibrant committee and many plans to grow, fight and win. The new branch organiser will work closely with the committee and members to help achieve the vision of the branch.
We strongly encourage applications from people who live or work in Hackney and and we particularly encourage applications from working class, women, disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) candidates.
Extensive training and support will be provided to the successful applicants.
- Supporting new members into the activity of the Hackney branch through phone calls and one-to-one meetings.
- Supporting elected role holders to develop their community organising skills and carry out their roles.
- Support members to develop and implement the strategy of the branch.
- Recruiting paying members to the London Renters Union.
- Identifying and organising campaigns and disputes on issues that renters are facing.
- Helping members run effective, welcoming meetings.
Pay and benefits
The pay is £37,656 pro rata – £33,125 for 30 hours per week, usually spread over 4 days. The role includes extensive training and support and a £1,200 per year towards counselling or other well-being services. Staff with children or carer responsibilities are entitled to a 12% subsidy on the regular staff salary.
Download the full job description and terms and conditions here.
To apply for this role
- To apply for this role, please upload your CV and a completed application form using the form below.
- You can download a copy of the application form here.
- Please note that you will need to save your CV and application form as a PDF file to be able to upload them using the form below. If you have any troubles with this please don’t hesitate to contact us.
- Deadline for applications: 9pm July 23.
- The ideal applicant will be available to start during August or September.
- If you have any questions about the role, feel free to email Josh on email@example.com
Upload your CV and completed application form here
JOIN THE LONDON RENTERS UNION
We’re a members-led, campaigning union and we’re taking action to make sure all Londoners have a decent, affordable and secure home. Join our community today and become part of the movement to transform the housing system.
We’re hiring a new organiser to help build renter power in Tower Hamlets
LRU All Member Assembly 2023Sunday 26 November - 11am-5pm followed by dinner and social until 8pmRich Mix, 35-47 Bethnal Green Rd, London, E1 6LA The All Member Assembly happens every year. It’s when LRU members across London come together to celebrate our victories...
📅 Wednesday May 31, 6:15pm📍Pelican House, 144 Cambridge Heath Road, Bethnal Green, E1 5QJRegister below We've been campaigning for an end to "no-fault" evictions for five years because we know it's not right that landlords have the power to throw us out of our homes...